Tuesday 13 May 2014

Eune êtudgiante d'l'Allemangne - A student from Germany



"I am Swantje, a student from Germany, and I am studying romance linguistics in Frankfurt. Last year in the summer, I spent four weeks here in Jersey and got to know the indigenous language of the island – but unfortunately, not as much as I would have liked. That's why I got curious about it, as I already had studied other Romance (minority) varieties, as for example Catalan or French in North America. So I decided to write my Master's thesis about the linguistic dynamic in the island. During the two weeks here, I got to know lots of nice people who are making a great effort to maintain Jèrriais and to bring it back into wider use. I think it is a very interesting language which is worth having a look at and maybe even learning it. I really hope that the future of Jèrriais will be positive. Thank you very much for having me!"

No comments: